Welcome to the SR20 Community Forum - The Dash.
Register
SR20 forum logo

Thread: E-85

+ Reply To Thread
Posts: 1-10 of 70
2009-01-07 12:00:27
#1
E-85
Just wondering if any FWD SE-R guys have yet to use E-85 as a fuel option. I know many people in South Florida are using it. A lot of high whp guys are using it and loving it. They are saying that they prefer it over C-16 and the fact that it's a fraction of the cost per gallon. I have not seen it sold here in Ohio but, from what I hear in FL they are selling it at the pump.


Discuss.
2009-01-07 12:21:26
#2
I have it at the pump in one place in town ....
2009-01-07 12:51:51
#3
We have it here in SC. We had the 240 using it for a while and it made me a believer.
2009-01-07 13:09:47
#4
Originally Posted by BenFenner
We have it here in SC. We had the 240 using it for a while and it made me a believer.


So you were pumping E85 into your Nissan 240sx with 9.5 to 1 compression and it ran better.

Just asking what about it made you a believer? Inquiring SR20 members want to know, because I sure do.
2009-01-07 16:35:30
#5
Originally Posted by SE-Rican
Just wondering if any FWD SE-R guys have yet to use E-85 as a fuel option. I know many people in South Florida are using it. A lot of high whp guys are using it and loving it. They are saying that they prefer it over C-16 and the fact that it's a fraction of the cost per gallon. I have not seen it sold here in Ohio but, from what I hear in FL they are selling it at the pump.


Discuss.


I have been wanted to try it but I have no e85 pumps in charleston. I am hoping the the place selling vp fuels which start carrying e85 soon. I would like to try it out on the dyno to see what fuel adjustment needed to be made so I could make a second map for my car.
2009-01-07 16:39:06
#6
Originally Posted by Andreas
So you were pumping E85 into your Nissan 240sx with 9.5 to 1 compression and it ran better.

Just asking what about it made you a believer? Inquiring SR20 members want to know, because I sure do.
Sorry for not giving all the info from the beginning. The 240 in question has a DET swap and AEM engine management. It is able to take full advantage of the many benefits E85 offers.

Car in question: http://www.sr20-forum.com/members-rides/11987-danmartins-s13-project-thread.html

As for being a believer... I believed all the hype to begin with. You can't argue with facts. The knock tolerance is much higher (equivalent to 104 or 105 (R+M)/2 octane), and the evaporative cooling effects are greater than gasoline.

I was really only worried about it degrading rubber components, degrading aluminum components, the lower fuel mileage (more stops at the pump when you might not be sure where to find one), the greater demand on the fueling system (Walbro 255 seemed up to about 420 WHP, no more), the cold start problems inherently caused by the higher energy needed to evaporate ethanol, and the problems one might have finding it if you don't have stations that carry it where you're traveling on a road trip.

Since running it in the 240, those issues that seem problematic on paper don't end up causing any trouble.
2009-01-07 18:43:09
#7
So what would be necessary for us FWD SR20DET guys to use E85 with a Calum R/T ECU? I guess I will give him a shout and see if he would know. I have access to E 85, 5 miles from my house.
2009-01-07 18:50:40
#8
Originally Posted by Hybrid_DET
So what would be necessary for us FWD SR20DET guys to use E85 with a Calum R/T ECU? I guess I will give him a shout and see if he would know. I have access to E 85, 5 miles from my house.


it seems you would on need to adjust the fuel maps for e-85 since it makes less energy than gas. this is from the information I have read.
2009-01-07 18:56:33
#9
Subcribed.

Is that guy still running E85 on that 240? Nice looking car from the links.
2009-01-07 18:57:33
#10
Originally Posted by cortrim1
it seems you would on need to adjust the fuel maps for e-85 since it makes less energy than gas. this is from the information I have read.


I just spoke with him on the phone and he is unsure as he doesn't have access to E-85. For the realtime it would just need a bin file with the appropriate inputs. So by adjusting the fuel map, do you mean leaning it out and adding more timing?
+ Reply To Thread
Quick Reply
Thread Information
There are currently ? users browsing this thread. (? members & ? guests)
StubUserName

Back to top