Updated Again 01/10/2015
There is a lot of misinformation floating around this forum concerning our suspensions. Perhaps this thread will help to dispel some of that erroneous information. I am no expert, I have very limited mechanical knowledge at best. Therefore, I only quote folks with considerable expertise concerning our suspensions. I provide plenty of links, facts, tech information, and expert, professional advice. Think of this as a collegiate level research paper on B13, B14 and B15 suspensions. Every source gets cited, as it should be.
I continuously keep this thread updated and current with any new offerings or information. Suggestions, corrections, or helping me with pertinent information or relevent photos is welcomed. "XXX" anything currently means I need more information or sources. I will incorporate things as rapidly as possible given my schedule. Typically new items show up every several months or so.
If you find something I am missing that is pertinent to this thread, then by all means PM me. Or you can post it yourself in this thread, and (assuming you are on track) I will incorporate it into the thread body itself.
I *clearly* indicate where I may be guessing on a few items.
I hope you find this enlightening.
I. Overview of the B13, B14, B15 Suspensions
* What is the differences between the three chassis codes?
* I want to get the rear beam on my B14, B15 bent.
* Why our suspensions are not easy to modify correctly.
* How Stuff Works link for those as ignorant as I am.
* Mike Kojima Lays The Information Smackdown
* Mike Kojima at MotoIQ and The Ultimate Guide to Suspension and Handling (at MotoIQ).
* Handling and Brakes FAQ - What is your chassis telling you?
* Suspension component diagram and part numbers.
* Foreign websites, use the N14.
II. Conventional Struts and Springs
* Nissan OEM Stock Spring Rates
* SR20 Forum Exclusive Springs: Hypercoil and Road Magnet
* Other Springs: B+G, Dropzone, Eibach, H&R, Megan Racing, Progress, Tein, Tokico, Vogtland...
* KYB AGX struts
* Custom Shortened Koni's (abreviated to CSK's in this thread)
* Other struts...Tokico Blue, etc....
* Strut Boots
* Strut Mounts...OEM, Upgraded OEM, Motivational
III. Coilover systems
* Advance Design and Ground Control
* Bits N Peices
* Hot Bits
* Ksport (or D2's)
* Motivational Engineering
* Energy Suspension - Downsides, "suspension bind", and do you really need them?
* Spherical metal bushings
* 2-Point FSTB options: Cusco, Courtesy, E-Bay, Nismo, Stillen, Whiteline
* Triangulated FSTB : Nothing off the shelf.
* 2-Point RSTB options: Active Tuning, Bolt In Bars, Cusco, Whiteline
* Triangulated RSTB options: Bolt In Bars
* IKEA brace
* Blehmco lower control arm brace
* NuTech lower control arm brace
* Progress lower control arm brace
* Whiteline lower control arm brace
* Traction bars
* Fender braces - Stephens Fender Braces
* Foam filling the chassis
* Roll Bars and Roll Cages
* Harness Bars
VI. Sway Bars
* What the hell is a sway bar?
* Nissan OEM Stock Sway Bars
* Suspension Techniques
VII. Camber Kits
* What is camber?
* Camber bolts or "crash bolts"
* Ground Control
VIII. A Few Words About Wheels & Tires
* How unsprung weight affects your car.
* How to do your own alignment.
* How are wheel width and diameter measured?
* Conversion Tables for Rims and Tires.
* What size wheels and tires should I buy?
* Where should I buy tires?
* How old are my tires, even when new?
* Stock OEM wheel information for the B13 and B14.
* Lightweight 15-inch wheels for our vehicles.
* How much tire and wheel can I stuff under my vehicle?
* Which tires are SR20-Forum Members running on their street or track cars, and what is their opinion on the tires?
* Upgrading your wheel studs and lug nuts
* Why in the hell are B14 OEM SE-R rims so damn popular on B13's?
XI. Limited Slip Differentials
* What is an LSD?
* Nissan OEM
* Phantom Grip
X. Glossary of Suspension Terms
* Websites and links.
XI. Recommended Suspension Set-ups
A half-dozen basic recommended set-ups.
* What OEM parts do I need to replace?
* Daily Driver
* Daily Driver plus auto-cross/HPDE.
* Serious Racing? Never. You guys on on your own, you already know more than me. Uh....go look at the coilover section and leave me alone.
XII. Discouraged Suspension Set-up
* Slamming your car as low as possible, while re-engineering it correctly.
What is the differences between the three chassis codes?
The B13 suspension is comprised of an independent McPherson strut suspension in both the front and rear.
The B14 and B15 suspension is comprised of an independent McPherson strut suspension in the front, and a solid rear beam.
98sr20ve drops knowledge on the B13 vs. B14 rear suspension:Originally Posted by Choaderboy2
B13 vs B14 handling - SR20 Forum
I want to get the rear beam on my B14, B15 bent.Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
98sr20ve (Steve) drops knowledge on bending the rear beam on a B14 to vastly improve the handling:
How to make your B14 handle properly! - SR20 Forum
Why our suspensions are not easy to modify correctly.
Everyone wants to put a performance suspension on their car. It is a terrific first mod that paves the way for future modding. Going fast in a straight line is not nearly as fun as negotiating the curves. Having a ton of power is no good if you end up in a ditch. A performance suspension invariably includes a drop of some sort, and let's be honest, our cars look better a little lower than stock.
Lowering your B13/14/15 is a slightly tricky endevour. You cannot just "slam" a B13/14/15 on any old springs and struts and expect it to work correctly. The OEM B13/14/15 chassis has three (3) inches of suspension travel. When you start lowering the car, you can easily run out of suspension travel. Running out of suspension travel means bottoming out your struts, slamming off your bumpstops, possibly damaging the struts and/or losing control of your vehicle. Not exactly what you were looking for when you decided to buy a new performance suspension.
From: Sticky on Sentra Lowering Springs! - NissanForums.com, this is what Mike Kojima has to say:
More of Mikes wisdom from:Originally Posted by Mike Kojima
Sport Compact Car had this to say:Originally Posted by Mike Kojima, Nissan Performance Magazine
Originally Posted by Sport Compact Car July 2000Originally Posted by Sport Compact Car April 2005Nissan Performance Magazine from this link: NissanPerformanceMag.comOriginally Posted by Sport Compact Car July 2005
How Stuff Works - Howstuffworks "How Car Suspensions Work"Originally Posted by Nissan Performance Magazine
This is for those, like me, that are mechanically ignorant. This link covers the basics of a modern suspension in general. Click and be enlightened.
Mike Kojima Lays The Information Smackdown - This is so good it is flat-out stunning: sentra.net
NOTE: Understand that some information contained in that link is...dated. This article was written by Mike before Hyperco, let alone Road Magnet springs. Before half the coilovers in that section of this thread even existed. You have to view some of the information, specifically on commercially available springs (H&R, Eibach) and products (NuTech is out of business), in that article with a historical perspective. However, all of the rest of the info is dead accurate today, still completely relevant, and it's freakin' brilliant. Read it all, twice.
Mike Kojima currently hangs his hat at MotoIQ: Superblackz and BenFenner brought these links to my attention. Brilliant stuff. You should read all of these articles.
I swiped the following information directly from Ben's Forum Manifesto global sticky.
The Ultimate guide to Suspension and Handling (MotoIQ)
- Part 1: Wheels and Tires
- Part 2: Controlling Body Motion
- Part 3: Balance the chassis
- Part 4: Reduce weight transfer
- Part 5: The One Unforgivable Sin, Overlowering Your Car
- Part 6: Adding Negative Camber
- Part 7: Tuning your Toe
- Part 8: Understanding Your Caster, King Pin Inclination and Scrub
Handling and Brakes FAQ - What is your chassis telling you? This information provided by Kyle is brilliant stuff. Read it, be enlightened.
B13 Suspension Components diagram and part numbers:
B13 Suspension Diagram with Part numbers - SR20 Forum
Cross reference the N14 against B13 products. Check with your supplier.
Originally Posted by hpro123