Welcome to the SR20 Community Forum - The Dash.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 201 to 217 of 217
  1. #201
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Nice Vadim, I was surprised that I didnt have that much -camber with the LCA extended. May be best to have most -camber with UCA and fine tune with the LCA.
    I can try and measure my LCA as well just to give you more detail for the math.

  2. #202
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    Having a shorter UCA is much more forgiving to other geometry items too. It seems like lengthening the LCA really messes with bump steer, have you noticed an increase of that?

    Sadly there is no way to shorten the UCA or LCA and not increase the SAI, but I'm less worried about it now since I graphed it all out. SAI camber loss is far less then a lot of of people make it out to be. So the biggest issue with lots of SAI is scrub radius, but lower offset wheels fix that.
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  3. #203
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Having a shorter UCA is much more forgiving to other geometry items too. It seems like lengthening the LCA really messes with bump steer, have you noticed an increase of that?

    Sadly there is no way to shorten the UCA or LCA and not increase the SAI, but I'm less worried about it now since I graphed it all out. SAI camber loss is far less then a lot of of people make it out to be. So the biggest issue with lots of SAI is scrub radius, but lower offset wheels fix that.
    Oh yes, bump steer is very present, on un-even roads the car darts around. used to be darty before as well but not this much, during auto-x it is less noticeable. adjusting with the LCA also reduces caster as well, which is why i am looking at making a smaller bearing housing to replace the rear bushing so i can offset it a bit.

  4. #204
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    I wonder how much of that is from your ride height, were you bumpsteering before the LCA mod?

    The reason I decided to peruse camber adjustment through the LCA is because that's how my friend's Miata adjusts camber and caster stock. Using eccentric bolts and what not, as far as I can tell he hasn't complained about bump steer on his car.

    Good call on smaller LCA rear bushing, since I have 4.5* of caster I don't mind loosing say 0.5* caster for -0.5* of static camber gain . Even with stock LCA rear bushing housing I think I can squeeze in a little more caster by slotting the housings a little more.

    Depending on your luck with the rear bushing, I might do the same too, rear bushing can be solid metal and it still shouldn't increase NVH all that much.
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  5. #205
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    I wonder how much of that is from your ride height, were you bumpsteering before the LCA mod?
    I did not notice the bumpsteer before, now two hands have to be on the steering wheel as un-even roads will pull the car car in one direction, could also be alignment but i am fairly confident that it is very close to 0 toe.

  6. #206
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    Hmm your making me reconsider messing with the LCA. I noticed a slight increase in bump steer doing the 10mm shorter UCA's, but it's very minor so I'm not worried about it. But more violent bump steer is not good for tire wear or racing in general (especially on my awful autocross surfaces).
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  7. #207
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    Took some measurements today of my latest UCA bracket caster mod, and going from stock holes to new ones gained me 0.55* of caster. So you should definitely do this mod too along with the lower drilled UCA attachment points.

    Likes cayman_primera, Kyle Liked this post
     
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  8. #208
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Remember I did not fix the issue with the tie rods being at different angles now to my LCA which should correct bump steer, also having less compliant bushings(bearings in my case) also add to this feeling since there is much less play. i plan on getting a set of s14 aftermarket outer tie rods and redrill to fit a bolt and spacer setup.

    that sounds good about the new mounting location for the UCA, for sure got to get that done this weekend.

  9. #209
    OEM Plus.
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 11,122
    Feedback Score: 51 (100%)

    Default

    You guys are beam-Beasts!

  10. #210
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    I gotta say seeing 2JR beat a lot of cars and getting first place in Road Atlanta in the B15, made me see that beams are not a total loss on these cars.
    Likes ztunedsr20 Liked this post
     
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  11. #211
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    You guys are beam-Beasts!
    Thanks! Trying a ting. The panhard mod completely changes the character and I forget that it is a bean behind there.

  12. #212
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Took some measurements today of my latest UCA bracket caster mod, and going from stock holes to new ones gained me 0.55* of caster. So you should definitely do this mod too along with the lower drilled UCA attachment points.

    so I adjusted the lower control arms to 15". Did not take any measurments before I changed it but I would say it is around 3/8" shorter. Also drilled the uca mount to lower the mount point for the uca only for now. Initial camber is -2.1 which is great and steering feels a lot more responsive as well. Also got 255 nankang ns2r all around so we will see how it does next event coming this weekend.

  13. #213
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Hmm your making me reconsider messing with the LCA. I noticed a slight increase in bump steer doing the 10mm shorter UCA's, but it's very minor so I'm not worried about it. But more violent bump steer is not good for tire wear or racing in general (especially on my awful autocross surfaces).
    Just wanted to update you in regards to the bump steer. I found out that I had a bad rear hub bearing on the left side which was causing my car to follow the road. Replaced it and now i dont notice much bump steer now, would say it is about the same as before.

  14. #214
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    Nice! That's great to hear. Was the bearing making noise or did it have play? Mine are not making noise, but I have measured enough runout that makes me think they are going too. With Toe plates my rear toe will vary +/- 1/8", which is kind of crazy, but not bad enough to make me wanna pay $200.
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  15. #215
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Nice! That's great to hear. Was the bearing making noise or did it have play? Mine are not making noise, but I have measured enough runout that makes me think they are going too. With Toe plates my rear toe will vary +/- 1/8", which is kind of crazy, but not bad enough to make me wanna pay $200.
    It made no noise what so ever and movement was actually really bad. what gave it away was i stated to hear a click when applying the brakes, so i went to inspect the pads(or shoes in my case) and saw the hub moving about when taking the brakes apart. I never noticed the movement before because when working on the rears the had brake is always engaged and would hold the hub in place.
    Likes Vadim Liked this post
     

  16. #216
    Administrator
    User Info
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: VA
    Posts: 16,176
    Feedback Score: 48 (100%)

    Default

    Haha I can attest to that, handbrake is usually up when I'm working in the rear too.

    I wonder if I could just press my hub back in then, since bearing doesn't seem shot.
    00 G20t KH3- Loller Rocker + GT28 + 6 Speed
    05 Legacy GT - Big 16G @13psi + Up Pipe + Downpipe
    12 Outback 2.5i Premium - Stock

  17. #217
    Member
    User Info
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 238
    Feedback Score: 0

    Default

    With the stickier tires the hubs will wear down faster so that might not work. just my 2 cents but still worth a try.
    Likes Vadim Liked this post
     

 

 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

LinkBacks (?)


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top